Wm. Lance Culley, D.D.S.
Meet Dr. Culley
Wm. Lance Culley, D.D.S., is or has been a member of numerous professional associations including:
- The American Academy of Facial Esthetics – Completing requirements to fulfill Diplomate Status
- The American Dental Association
- The American Academy of Periodontology
- The Southern Academy of Periodontology
- The International Congress of Oral Implantologists – All requirements fulfilled for Fellowship
- The International Team for Implantology (ITI)—Nominated Fellow
- The Institute for Dental Implant Awareness
- The Tennessee Dental Association
- The 7th District Dental Society- Chairman of Post Doctoral Education from 1999 and retired in 2009
- The Kentucky Society of Periodontists
- The Kentucky Dental Association
- Past Associate Adjunct Clinical Professor of Periodontolgy At the University of Alabama College of Dentistry in Birmingham Alabama
- Founder of the Institute for Periodontics and implant Dentistry and Study Club in 2001.
Dr. Culley grew up in Paris, Tennessee. He received his Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Tennessee at Martin, and he obtained his Doctorate of Dental Surgery Degree from the University of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences in Memphis. While in Memphis, he discovered his interest in periodontics and began work with the periodontal department. He began research and clinical instruction with his mentor, the late Dr. John Dean. Following this, Dr. Culley continued his education by completing a three-year residency at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center. After completing his residency in 1998, Dr. Culley wanted to return to West Tennessee and Western Kentucky to serve the people he knows and loves. His practice philosophy is simple. He feels that everyone deserves the best and easiest treatment possible, and he would only recommend to his patients the same things that he would recommend for his own family.
When he is not in the office, Dr. Culley spends all of his time with his wife, a Chicago native, and three children. He and his wife have always been extremely active in the children’s school and extracurricular endeavors. They participate in everything from drag racing to Opera and everything between. They have sponsored several community athletic teams in soccer, basketball and baseball/softball as well as volunteering as coaches and roomparents.
They place an extremely high value on education as well. In 2004, Dr. and Mrs. Culley set up the Culley Pre-Dental Endowment Scholarship at the University of Tennessee at Martin. This scholarship awards $1000-$2000 dollars, annually, to two UTM students that are considering pursuing a career in dentistry. They hope it will help offset some of the ever increasing costs that it takes to become a dentist.
Dr. Culley has also lecutured nationally on topics including periodontics, implant dentistry and 3D imaging. He retired from the lecture circuit when he started having to miss events that his kids were involved in, but he plans to return after he is an empty-nester. He also served for several years as a part-time associate adjunct clinical professor in the graduate Periodontics Department at the University of Alabama School of Dentistry in Birmingham. Dr. Culley has had research and cases published in several specialty journals and has continued to actively participate in research projects and publish as time allows.